So your baby is now mobile and you’re worrying about them getting into everything. For your own sanity, now should be the time to consider baby proofing your home. You don’t need to spend a lot of money, but there are simple things you could do that make a big difference.
What baby proofing essentials do I need?
- We would recommend you put locks on your windows, kitchen cupboards and drawers.
- It’s a good idea to fix any large pieces of furniture like chests of drawers to walls so a child can’t pull them over onto themselves.
- Lock medicines and cleaning products into out of reach cupboards.
- Fit a stair gate to the top and bottom of your stairs. You can get retractable stair gates and ones that open which mean you don’t need to climb over them.
- Check your house plants or flowers to make sure none are toxic.
- Make sure you don’t have any dangling blind cords.
Take a look at these videos for more ideas from parents that have baby proofed their home: