Hola! Last week I meant to record our dinners each day, but I lost some footage! So instead I’ve decided to show you 3 quick ideas for midweek meals. Recipes included below. By all means, adapt and swap – or cater to your own family’s tastes. All these dinners are very do-able midweek (under 30 mins) – and all were enjoyed by our own two kids, aged 7 and 4. (The keema curry went down a STORM!)
***Mackerel with roasted new pots and salsa verde (swap salsa for mayo if your kids won’t like it!)***
– Halve and roast new pots in olive oil at 180C for about 20 mins. Toss half way.
– Make a simple salad.
– Salsa verde: 2 tbsn of capers, 2 tbsn wholegrain mustard, 1 tin anchovies plus oil, tbsn fresh basil, tbsn fresh parsley, a little fresh mint, 1/2 clove crushed garlic, few tbns olive oil. Mix and chop to a chunky consistency. I use scissors for this when it’s all in the bowl. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the herbs, as long as you have at least one. Set aside.
– Pan fry mackerel fillets – get pan as hot as you dare and add a little oil. Add fish, skin side down. Press them down with a fish slice to crisp skin up. Wait for a few minutes (about 4 mins) then turn over, and turn off heat. Leave in pan for 1 minute to finish cooking.
– Grate one courgette, one carrot, and dice an onion, soften in oil with 3 cloves garlic, crushed.
– Add 500g beef mince. Brown.
– Now add 2 tbsn mild curry powder. Mix and add tin of chopped tomatoes. Swirl can out with hot water and add one beef stock jelly (or cube) to it.
– Add 500g cubed potatoes and let it simmer for 20 mins or until pots are cooked.
– Last minute, add mugful of peas. Season to taste. Add yoghurt and chilli flakes for grown ups. Serve with microwave brown rice.
***Lamb flatbreads with tzatziki and houmous***
– Cut up 4 lamb leg steaks into chunks. Toss with tbsn dried oregano, tbns olive oil, teaspoon of white wine vinegar, 1 clove crushed garlic, and lots of salt and pepper. Fry off in a pan for about 7 minutes, until nice and brown.
– Grate half a cucumber and squeeze out excess water. Add to half a tub of Greek yoghurt. Season and add a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
– Warm up flatbreads using toaster, smear each one with houmous and tzatsiki and pop in lamb. Serve with salad.