Please consider registering

Register Lost password?
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Purple-Mug-_new_50x50
Seasonal Chat
Chat about Seasonal Events throughout the year - Christmas, Easter, Birthdays and more
Donna

Channel Mum Team
Forum Posts: 520
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
Any tips for saving money in 2018?
Donna
28th Dec '17 - 14.51
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost sp_EditPost sp_ReportPost

Now we have Christmas out of the way, I’m starting to think of summer holidays and how I can save up to actually afford one..!

Please share your money saving tips.  And cheap holiday companies you’d recommend 😁

Thanks 

Like this post
Rhian

Channel Mum Team
Guests

Members

Moderators
Forum Posts: 483
Rhian
30th Dec '17 - 15.35

Yes please do share with me, I’m in desperate need of tips 😂 I’ve spent WAY too much this Christmas…I may have accidentally bought myself an iPad too…oops! 

Like this post
Donna

Channel Mum Team
Donna
30th Dec '17 - 16.48

Has anyone tried the envelope method of budgeting where you draw out a months money when you get paid and split it between 4 envelopes and only use one a week…?   It sounds like a good idea on the surface but I’m hard pressed to remember my shopping list let alone the envelope if cash to pay with!!

Like this post
NadiaM

Founding Member
Guests

Members

Founding Member
Forum Posts: 80
NadiaM
6th Jan '18 - 15.19

My tips are 

Plan ahead so start planing now,

Like put aside money for half terms, birthdays, holidays and christmas in advance. 

I never use to budget but now i do and i’ve saved so much which means there is money for so many other fun things. 

I started to collect coupons, money off vouchers and search online for best deals 2 years ago. And even though you have to be fast with sales they are so worth it i save atleast 50% on gifts now that search and take advantage of sales and offers. 

Also lists make lists and budget each event or occasion by planning and writting prices on what you buy so you know how much you need and spend. 

In your monthly spends try to shop weekly or every forthnight instead of shop as you need that way makes it easy to plan meals and their cost in advance. Obviously this cant always happen we all have them day when we walk into sainsburys for milk and walk out with £200 of shopping 😂😂 but a rule in general is planning in advance. 

I have used envelopes for weekly shops, birthdays, holidays and so on and they can be really helpful. 

And last try to put away money to save by shopping around, so try to get the best price with everything. 

Even if its £50 a month you can save at the end of the year its £600 😊🤗🤗🤗 

Lol sorry for long post. 

It is easy to save money that it seems honestly.. little steps get you far… 😉👌 

Xx 

Like this post
Donna

Channel Mum Team
Donna
9th Jan '18 - 13.54

Obviously this cant always happen we all have them day when we walk into sainsburys for milk and walk out with £200 of shopping 😂😂 but a rule in general is planning in advance. 

Why does this always happen?!!  emo-7_jpg

I was so careful this week and managed (or so I thought) to do a full weekly food shop for just £32 in Aldi but then I called into Tesco last night just to get some nytol for my husband who hasn’t been sleeping well all week and somehow that small box of tablets turned into a bag full of shopping!!
I clearly need to plan more carefully.

Some really good ideas there Nadia, thank you.

Like this post
Nicss
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 48
Nicss
11th Jan '18 - 12.23

NadiaM said
My tips are 

Plan ahead so start planing now,

Like put aside money for half terms, birthdays, holidays and christmas in advance. 

I never use to budget but now i do and i’ve saved so much which means there is money for so many other fun things. 

I started to collect coupons, money off vouchers and search online for best deals 2 years ago. And even though you have to be fast with sales they are so worth it i save atleast 50% on gifts now that search and take advantage of sales and offers. 

Also lists make lists and budget each event or occasion by planning and writting prices on what you buy so you know how much you need and spend. 

In your monthly spends try to shop weekly or every forthnight instead of shop as you need that way makes it easy to plan meals and their cost in advance. Obviously this cant always happen we all have them day when we walk into sainsburys for milk and walk out with £200 of shopping 😂😂 but a rule in general is planning in advance. 

I have used envelopes for weekly shops, birthdays, holidays and so on and they can be really helpful. 

And last try to put away money to save by shopping around, so try to get the best price with everything. 

Even if its £50 a month you can save at the end of the year its £600 😊🤗🤗🤗 

Lol sorry for long post. 

It is easy to save money that it seems honestly.. little steps get you far… 😉👌 

Xx   

Wow, I am terrible at budgeting, so I will be following this post. I am determined to turn over a new leaf for 2018!

Like this post
Nimbo
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 43
Nimbo
15th Jan '18 - 15.41
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost sp_EditPost sp_ReportPost

I’m going to start putting some money aside each week to budget for Christmas and Birthday presents for my children – like a present fund. I seriously overspent at Christmas and I don’t want to make the same mistake this year.

Like this post
ElleP
Guests

Members
Forum Posts: 25
ElleP
16th Jan '18 - 18.50

The Sun holidays can be good, but you have to be quick to book the dates you want.

Like this post
NadiaM

Founding Member
Guests

Members

Founding Member
NadiaM
19th Jan '18 - 11.55

Hi Donna 😊 

Thank you

😂 i know it always happens.. but keep trying. Plan your trips out and budget them. 

And first month if you would have spent (only examples)  £60 a week try to limit that so you spend £40 and keep that £20 you have saved in a money box or envelope or savings account. That way you could already have saved £80 in the first month or more. Its really saying “do i really need this” to your self until its a habit😉 

Also a new thing i am trying is to save £1 -£2 a day just putting it away. 

So i put £2 away daily its £730 saved at the end of the year.

If £1 £365 

And another way is just put your change your given in shops away. 

So if your total comes to 26.50 and you pay £30 you would get £3.50 that day and put that away. 

You are guarantee d to save money that way. 

Good luck saving 😊 

Xx 

Like this post
NadiaM

Founding Member
Guests

Members

Founding Member
NadiaM
19th Jan '18 - 12.00

Honestly its so much easier than it seems! 

And little steps can get you really far. 

I honestly never use to budget until a few years ago and its making a new habit. 

And saving money for holidays, kids present, fun days or rainy days its an accomplishment. So its a goal but honestly it seems a lot harder than it is. 

You all can save so much just by putting away daily, weekly. I tried monthly but i feel its a lot to put away like £100 a month in 1 go. So i little steps like your daily change or even a £1 a day will get you over £300 saved however you can afford. 

Good luck ❤😊 

Xx 

Like this post
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 355

Currently Online:
16 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

EmArds: 175

Janice R: 164

cheryl stephenson grech: 160

Sarah: 125

JillY: 100

Julie001: 95

ShellRatcliff: 93

STEPHANIEPOVEY: 90

NadiaM: 80

Holly.B: 75

Newest Members:

lonnice1967

ChloeU

Mcnicholas

LouiseDennison

RhiannDavies

Tmg1994

zetasam1992

LoriDarke

EmmaJane92

LeanneColeman

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 15

Topics: 3678

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 4840

Moderators: 20

Admins: 7

Administrators: Cathy R, Emma Maxwell, Nikki Leste, Channel Mum Team, C K, Tony May, Donna

Moderators: Claire Winkworth, Jodie Wollfson, Sam, Channel Mum, Siobhan, Amber, Lisa, Rhian, Jen, Becca Day, Lorraine, EmmaKenny, Maggie Fisher, Helen Neale, Emma M, Josie, Warren Distributed, LuaCooper, Karen Archer, Jane