I need some advice about getting my son to sleep in his cot. He is almost 1 and has always been breastfed to sleep. He used to sleep in his next to me ok and I could feed him during the night and then gently place him back down (with varying success, but on the whole it wasn’t too bad).
When be was about 9 months, in preparation for me going back to work, we decided to move him into his cot in his own room. We tried the Ferber method but slightly modified it as I would feed him until drowsy then put him down and my husband would do the check ins every 2 minutes if he was crying. I was pleasantly surprised at first there was some crying and grumbling but he fell asleep within about an hour and the next week and a half be was doing really well. However, then he started being sick when I put him down in the cot. He had been crying but only for a couple of minutes, I literally just had left the room and then he was sick. The first time he did it I thought maybe I fed him too close to bed time, so moved his dinner a bit earlier and tried again. A few days later he did the same. At that point it was projectile vomit and I decided, maybe he’s not ready for this.
Fast forward 3 months later and basically we have been co-sleeping, which although a bit tiring I generally haven’t minded. The issue is he’s started pulling himself up. The other night I woke up at 2am and he was standing in his next to me, which isn’t very high, so obviously I feel co-sleeping is now a bit dangerous. so we tried his cot again last night and literally a minute and half after I put him down in his cot he was sick. He was crying but it wasn’t extreme I didn’t expect vomit! My husband and I changed the sheets then put him down again and lay on the floor next to him. Queue a terrible night where no one got more than a few hours sleep!
I tried rubbing his back, stroking his hair, holding his hand. At one point stroking his hair worked but then he woke up an hour later when my husband sneezed!!
Sorry for such a long post, I’m just at a loss of what to try! I wouldn’t mind co sleeping but now really worried about him falling out. To make things worse his top teeth are coming through and he just started nursery last week and had a few settling in days. I was planning on moving him once he had settled at nursery but due to the dangerous scenario with the next to me I thought it best to try now.